Trinity Methodist Church - Romford


Newsletter Post New Entry

Ivor Frank Tallack

Posted by trinityromford on January 3, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Ivor Frank Tallack

22nd August 1948 - 9th December 2010


Ivor was born in Romford to Frank and May Tallack. He was born with Down's Syndrome. To me, his sister, and many others, he was a very special person. He lived life to the full and took every opportunity that was handed to him and made the most of it.

When he was about five year old he started attending the Junior Occupation Centre in Dagenham, boarding the coach on the first day without any fear of the unknown. Six years later he went off to a boarding school in Buntingford, a Roman Cathloic school staffed by nuns. There he met Nigel who became his best friend until his death a few years ago. At 16, Ivor returned to this borough to live in Westmarsh Lodge, a hostel for men on Harold Hill. About 12 years later when the local authority decided hostels should be mixed sex, he moved along the road to Hamelin House, where he lived until April 2000, when he moved across the road to a small residential home for six people.


About three years ago he began to show signs of dementia and it was clear that he needed specialist care, which was found at Hedgerows in Brentwood. Last August, Ivor spent two weeks in Queen's Hospital. He was discharged on his 62nd birthday and taken directly to Hedgrows. He was only there for a short time before being taken ill in the early hours of the 8th December, when he was taken to Queen's Hospital, where he passed away the following evening. He had pneumonia. The date of his death, 9th December, was a strange coincindence, as on the 9th December 2009 he had a seizure and stopped breathing. A carer gave him mouth to mouth rescusitation giving him another year of life.


Ivor experienced a number of Day Services. When he first returned to Romford he attended the Bill Belford Centre which became a school, so he moved to Spilsby Road and when that closed it was replaced by a number of projects. Ivor went to Melville Court, a sheltered workshop, which he loved and was very happy, when this closed he then went two or three times a week to the Community Activity Group at Nason Waters. When Council run day services were taken away from those in residential care and the homes had to arrange day time activities, Ivor sometimes went to Age Concern for lunch and one afternoon a week all from his home, went to a pottery group held at Fairkytes. He produces some nice things including a fine nativity scene.



His family was important to him; he looked forward to coming home for holidays, first to his parents then, after their death, to our home. He enjoyed family events such as birthdays and weddings. Ivor also enjoyed holidays and has been abroad with people with whom he lived, as well as to a variety of places in this country. Each August he had a holiday with us at Pin Mill near Ipswich. The highlights of his stay was the day the "Church People" came to visit.



This church was important to him. A few months ago when I had to bring him to Romford, as we returned to the church car park he realised where he was and said "My Church". He became a member during the ministry iof Rev. Stanley Beard. As well as attending services here, he enjoyed going to the Methodist Church at Chelmondiston (Pin Mill).


His death has left a big hole in our family.


Valery Knights.


Categories: General

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In